Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CCD Appears to have become stuck

Bob,

The run seemed fine last night until that last object around 6AM. It appears it completed but then ExpertScheduler threw a lot of errors i have never seen before. Log attached. It crashed and the mount was left unparked with the roof open.

No idea. It has been behaving well.

The uploaded log was truncated to 1MB from 10 of the same lines to allow upload.

JY
    Attached Files Attached Files

ACP became unresponsive and stopped responding to the scheduler. It appears to have happened about 10 minutes into the Observation

2019-09-28 10:54:40.3: Send Observation Sh 2-201
    2019-09-28 10:54:50.3: Sequencer is now active
    2019-09-28 11:00:19.6: ACPSequencer: transient error getting DispatcherEnabled.
    2019-09-28 11:00:19.6: The callee (server [not server application]) is not available and disappeared; all connections are invalid. The call may have executed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010007 (RPC_E_SERVER_DIED))

Please locate the ACP run log for this one. If you can't find it please let me know whether the Plan "Plan Sh 2-201-H-Alpha 1800s (13-14" is listed for Observatory Operator or a web/remote user. You can see this with the Web Schedule Browser.

Meanwhile keep observing, I am in here only for a few hours then off till Monday Morning.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    ACP became unresponsive and stopped responding to the scheduler. It appears to have happened about 10 minutes into the Observation

2019-09-28 10:54:40.3: Send Observation Sh 2-201
    2019-09-28 10:54:50.3: Sequencer is now active
    2019-09-28 11:00:19.6: The callee (server [not server application]) is not available and disappeared; all connections are invalid. The call may have executed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010007 (RPC_E_SERVER_DIED))

Please locate the ACP run log for this one. If you can't find it please let me know whether the Plan "Plan Sh 2-201-H-Alpha 1800s (13-14" is listed for Observatory Operator or a web/remote user. You can see this with the Web Schedule Browser.

Meanwhile keep observing, I am in here only for a few hours then off till Monday Morning.
    Here is the run log Bob. Looks like it did not finishing... Maxim and CCD were still running as was the mount...

Running as Observatory Operator

Will go again tonight as weather fine here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That was fast! I'm still here. It appears to have gotten stuck while trying to acquire an image:

10:54:40 This is AcquireScheduler V8.2.8
    10:54:40 Custom image file path/names are in use
    10:59:02 (starting exposure)
    ... nothing after this

A minute and 17 seconds later ACP stopped responding to the Scheduler:

...etc

I don't have any theories as to why. I'm wrapping up and will be back Monday.
    -- Bob

Yeah, I have no idea. I just spent $ getting the CCD fixed and have the latest version of Maxim. Maxim showed a nice guide image on it. The mount was still attached and running You figure.
    Last edited by Jerry Yesavage; Sep 28, 2019 at 20:32.

Yours looks like a SBIG camera, so make sure you have run DriverChecker to update the SBIG drivers since you got the camera back, especially if SBIG updated your firmware while they had it.

If you're not getting a "Camera Error" popup window, then it's probably not the camera itself. For my SBIG cameras, absent a Camera Error popup, freezing has usually been caused by USB comm problems. Also, try to verify that your camera is getting the full 12 volts power, while under load, and at the camera end of the power cable.

Beyond that, I would ask the SBIG camera forum.
    New Mexico Mira Project, Albuquerque NM

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dose View Post
    Yours looks like a SBIG camera, so make sure you have run DriverChecker to update the SBIG drivers since you got the camera back, especially if SBIG updated your firmware while they had it.

If you're not getting a "Camera Error" popup window, then it's probably not the camera itself. For my SBIG cameras, absent a Camera Error popup, freezing has usually been caused by USB comm problems. Also, try to verify that your camera is getting the full 12 volts power, while under load, and at the camera end of the power cable.

Beyond that, I would ask the SBIG camera forum.
    Thanks very much and this is timely since it just happened again... so I got the camera back from the shop and it sortta worked for a week and now this.

You may be right on the firmware and drivers. If Bill changed the "motherboard" maybe he forgot to do the firmware, but he tested it for a day before it left Santa Barbara. I'll have to go to the forum to check this.

But, the bad thing is that there are no LEDs... fans are turning and it takes pictures and the filterwheel moves... but no LEDS at all even when it starts.

The powerbrick is definitional turning out 12V, checked that before it went to Santa Barbara.

I reseated all the cables.

I guess the only alternative is QSI, but this thing has the OAG...

I have it running now so I guess will see how far it gets...

Thanks for the comments,

JY

Unlikely they changed the electronics and didn't update the firmware; more likely is that the did update the firmware and your local drivers aren't compatible. If you're not sure what Bill did with your camera, I would just e-mail him and ask. He will be back in his shop Monday 9/30.

The power adapters are almost never the problem; low voltage at the camera under load is almost always due to cabling. If you're using the SBIG-supplied cable, then that isn't it either.

I'm still betting on USB comms, or drivers too old for your firmware.
    New Mexico Mira Project, Albuquerque NM

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dose View Post
    Unlikely they changed the electronics and didn't update the firmware; more likely is that the did update the firmware and your local drivers aren't compatible. If you're not sure what Bill did with your camera, I would just e-mail him and ask. He will be back in his shop Monday 9/30.

The power adapters are almost never the problem; low voltage at the camera under load is almost always due to cabling. If you're using the SBIG-supplied cable, then that isn't it either.

I'm still betting on USB comms, or drivers too old for your firmware.
    Well thanks Eric,

The good news is it ran the rest of the night fine and closed correctly.

I agree the power adapter is not likely... frankly in all my years never seen one go bad....

I ran the SBIG Driver checker and updated their archive. You are correct that the firmware is current and up to date (1.10 & 2.65).

On the drivers(s). The checker reads sbigudrv.dll 4.99 Build 3 (6/14/18). When I do the archive download update there is an Update button on the ReadMe, but I am not sure if that is the button to push to get a new driver if it exists. Or, if that just updates the updater.

I am a bit skeptical that the LED lights would start working with a driver change in the software.

This is what I posted over there:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One possible problem I can see if there are NO LED lights on the camera... but fans are running Not orange or red on #2. 1-3 do blink when it starts up. I do not see it green during an exposure.

Manual:

1.13 Indicator Lights
    There are six LED indicator lights located on the side of the camera body that provide information about the camera’s communication link, exposure status, relay activity, and input voltage.
    Starting from the right:
    [1] The green status LED will flicker when the camera is powered up. It will then either glow continuously when the camera is idle or blink when the camera is taking an exposure;
    [2] The red LED in the photo indicates the voltage level of the power supply to the camera which is useful when operating in the field from a battery. This is a multi-colored LED. It is blank when voltage to the camera is normal (11 - 14 volts), yellow when the voltage drops below 11 volts, and red when the voltage drops to 10 volts or less. When the voltage drops to 10 volts or less, the camera may still operate, but the cooling is automatically turned off.
    [3] to [6] The four yellow LEDs, labeled 3, 4, 5, and 6 in the image above, indicate when any of the four relays are activated during self-guiding. In order, starting with #3 they are: +Y, -Y, +X, -X

We have checked the power brick and it is definitely 12V. Eric over at ACP thought it might be drivers and this is the dialogue:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I ran the SBIG Driver checker and updated their archive. You are correct that the firmware is current and up to date (1.10 & 2.65).

On the drivers(s). The checker reads sbigudrv.dll 4.99 Build 3 (6/14/18). When I do the archive download update there is an Update button on the ReadMe, but I am not sure if that is the button to push to get a new driver if it exists. Or, if that just updates the updater.

I am a bit skeptical that the LED lights would start working with a driver change in the software. When power is low at least they were orange in the past, now nothing. Since the fans are running power should be OK.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, I don't know but I still need some help. I assume the lights were behaving properly when it left Bill's shop. I am not messing with the drivers without adult supervision. But maybe you can tell me exactly what to do?

I'll post this over at Diffraction Unlimited and call Bill tomorrow.

Thanks again,

JY

PS As payback for the help, here is our latest picture (16h of HA). This is Sh2 168 (upper R) & 169. Not yet posted on Astrobin (I stated a Sharpless2 Group there). This one is pretty obscure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Yesavage; Sep 29, 2019 at 18:30.

That's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing Jerry :-)

And thank you Eric for helping :-)
    -- Bob

Thread Information