Threaded View

Default 10micron mount slews appear to complete but the mount drifts for many seconds

I have a 10 micron 3000 mount and have been noticing two issues and hoping someone can shed some light on why this might be happening.

[edit: thread split, second part in this thread]

Issue #1: After a sizeable slew,the first image of the target always has star streaks. The same target is fine (stars are round) on subsequent exposures and note that there is dithering happening in between. These are unguided exposures, so it looks like dither happens through small slews. The mount is running a 98 point model and my suspicion was that this is because of the mount having to apply the model post slew to begin tracking, which is probably more time and compute intensive on bigger slews that happen for target acquisition than that of a few pixels that happens for dither (mount is pretty much in the same spot of the sky). I tried setting mount settling time to 20 seconds in ACP and that did not seem to fix the issue. So instead I registered UserActions.wsc and added a 20s delay in SlewEnd(). This made the stars better. Increased it to 30s and the stars got even rounder (still a small streak). Next I am thinking of increasing it to 40s to see if that resolves the issue. Unfortunately, this delay ends up effecting those dither slews as well and makes everything slow. Wondering if there is a better way of doing this. I could modify AcquireSupport.wsc to pass c_SlewDist to SlewEnd so that I do the delay only on big slews (> 3.0 degrees). But hesitant to change up AcquireSupport. Has anyone else seen this and fixed it another way?

BTW is there any way to get Scheduler out of operator intervention without having to shut it down and restart it?
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Sep 25, 2019 at 13:46.

Thread Information