Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default ACP Logged error: **Failed to start the exposure

Bob,

The last two nights the ACP scripts quit unexpectedly. Sunday it was about half way through and last night after just five exposures. When I got up this morning I restarted the script after also restarting both ACP and Maxim. Not sure what is going on here, but I have attached the single log from Sunday night and the three logs from last night and this morning.

Also a few days ago I started a script with the waituntill command. When I looked at the session after it was suppose to start, it had not. I clicked on Maxim and the script started.

Not sure what to do next.

Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

Also, here are the two plans that had the issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the first two logs (031453 and 041915), the failure is identical, several images have been acquired back to back, with the guider kept running across them, then all of a sudden the guider quits. This triggers a recovery process in ACP where it re-does the pointing of the scope, so it's going to do an auto-center (short image, plate solve, check and adjust pointing). When it tries to take the pointing image, which it will do through the L filter not G, it has to switch filters then take the 5 sec exposure. That is also failing. So somehow both the guide camera and the main camera have become unreliable. Without more info my best guess is a USB problem or a low power supply voltage. Have you changed anything there? I read that this "just started happening, so..." Is it unseasonably warm there maybe?

From 031453:

07:58:40 Within max error tolerance, no recenter needed
    08:01:20 (**autoguider stopped on its own)
    08:01:40 (guider should be running, but isn't -- restarting...)
    08:01:40 (int/OAG guider - attempt pointing update before guider restart)
    08:01:40 Doing auto-center...
    08:03:41 Switching from G to L filter for pointing exposure
    08:05:43 (taking 5 sec. exposure, L filter, binning = 3)
    08:06:33 (using Raw readout mode)
    08:35:30 **Script Error (Tracking has been stopped)**
    08:35:30 Source: MaxIm.CCDCamera
    08:35:30 Message: **Failed to start the exposure

08:35:30 Location: line 1722 column 33.
    ACP console log closed 07-Jul-2019 08:36:21 UTC

102013 is just an immediate operator kill, and 102505 looks like it was operator or weather killed right after the guider successfully started and then the main camera just started started taking its first exposure:

11:32:12 (guided dither, 4 good cycles)
    11:32:23 (ex=0.31 ey=0.26)
    11:32:23 (guided dither, 5 good cycles)
    11:32:23 (guider check OK)
    11:32:30 (starting exposure)
    11:38:51 **Script Error**
    11:38:51 Source: ACP Observatory Control Software
    11:38:51 Message: The script was interrupted before completion.
    11:38:51 Location: line 1871 column 25.

Unsure what was happening at those times.
    -- Bob

Bob,

Thanks. We will change the usb cable today. Nothing has changed in the setup as far as I know. The camera was repaired about a month ago, but has functioned fine since its return. Do you think this is a camera problem? Any other suggestions?

Eric

I'm not very good at diagnosing equipment problems at a distance, and given the error messages that bubble up into ACP. The "source" of the messages is "MaxImDL" but that almost always means "the camera". But in this case the guider spontaneously quit and then the camera failed to respond to being asked to take an image. Since they are two separate devices, and since software doesn't wear out or rust, that leaves the common denominators, the USB Hub or cables including the power going to the USB hub or in the computer itself (voltage margins on USB). I hope you can find it soon.
    -- Bob

Bob,

We are doing a couple of things at the SRO that might help with the issue. First, there is no usb hub. All the usb cables go directly to the computer. So we are changing the usb cable from the camera to the PC. Also we changed the power plan to High Performance and also Disabled the USB selective suspend setting in the Advanced settings dialog box. One of the Planewave guys thought that might be the culprit in the loss of usb communication. Perhaps that was changed in one of the automatic Windows updates (we all hate those things).

If you have any more suggestions, let me know. Otherwise we will see how things run tonight.

Eric

Hey Eric,
    I looked at the logs and see this is an SBIG CCD? Which one? I have had my fair share of tricky problems with the STT8300M. Things I found were tricky included the filter wheel motor slipping and the power connector central post loosening. I believe I also had a few problems with the shutter. I have had the entire thing apart in pieces on my desk. You may want to run it and run it again and see if you can generate a hardware error. All the mechanical parts on that thing will slowly get loose.
    JY

Disabled the USB selective suspend setting in the Advanced settings dialog box.
    Oh yea... I keep forgetting to mention this! Tf he were to have seen your post, Eric Dose would have immediately mentioned it :-) Good work on their part!
    -- Bob

Yesterday I was up on the mesa tweaking my scope...

Jerry and everyone: For USB-loss problems, everyone's first reflex MUST be to go into Windows' Power Options and ensure that Disable USB Suspend is unchecked!!! I know it seems unreasonable (to the real world outside Redmond), but some Windows Updates (10 for sure) WERE IN FACT re-enabling USB Suspend. Several very experienced observers reported this to me during last winter. Happily I haven't seen this happen for several months now, but my reflex to check it remains the same.

Also, for EVERY USB Hub in Windows' Device Manager, verify under the Properties > Power Management tab that "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" remans unchecked. Check every USB Hub whether you think you're using it or not. This may usually be a self-inflicted problem rather than Redmonds' fault, but this check box has been known to get rechecked as well. Worth verifying.

(Bob: Software Bisque has gone so far as to make a sticky post about this on their site. This comes up often enough here that perhaps the ACP forum might consider the same.)
    measuring space rock rotation rates, live from Albuquerque NM

Thanks guys. Yes I did disable the USB suspend. The problem persisted last night and it may be related to the Planewave L-500 mount. There is a support person from Planewave at the SRO today and is going to check out the mount. We will see what happens.

Thread Information