Bob,

I don't know where to appropriately post this, so I'll start here.

The cooler annunciator in MaxIm goes off under a certain condition, and will not come back on despite clicking on the Cooler button in MaxIm or the Cooler link in SystemStatus. Yet the cooler is still operational and cooling. I mentioned this here: http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php...5720#post75720 where others have also noticed this.

Case 1. Run the startup script in expert in unsafe weather. Camera cooler starts as part of start up. Dome does not open. When the weather clears, StartupObs runs again and opens the dome. When commanded by ACP/Scheduler to open the dome, the MaxIm cooler annuciator switches to "off." 100% repeatable. Disconnecting and reconnecting MaxIm restores the correct annuciator status.

Case 2. Don't run startup script. Just use ACP. Connect the telescope and dome in ACP, and connect ACP to MaxIm. Turn cooler on in MaxIm. Now, using ACP's dome control, open the dome. As soon as commanded, the MaxIm cooler annunciator swithces to off. 100% repeatable. Disconnecting and reconnecting MaxIm restores the correct annuciator status.

Case 3. Just use MaxIm. Connect the dome (only) in MaxIm. Connect the camera in MaxIm. Turn on the cooler. Use MaxIm's Observatory/Dome panel to open the dome. As soon as commanded, the MaxIm cooler annunciator swithces to off. 100% repeatable. Disconnecting and reconnecting MaxIm restores the correct annuciator status.

Case 4. While camera is on and cooling, use PuTTY (a terminal app) to directly command the dome to open, bypassing the dome driver and bypassing MaxIm. No effect on MaxIm - camera continues to cool.

You might suggest there's a problem in the dome driver. Could be. But how can that be? How can a dome driver be related to MaxIm's camera API's? This was never a problem prior to about two weeks ago. I haven't modified the dome driver since March 27, and that was just a tweak for reducing logging of driver actions. And this was happening after the first of April in MaxIm 6.12 before I upgraded to MaxIm 6.20 on April 8, where it continues, Suggesting it's not a MaxIm issue.

What concerns me is if this problematic interaction may also be the cause of the failure to take the first pointing image as described in http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php...5605#post75605. If I can get past this cooler off-on business, then I can concentrate on why there's a problem with taking the first image.

I guess I'll delve back into the dome driver and try to scope out what's going on.
(Sigh)