Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Maxim DL & PWI 4 &3 for simulation

One of my astronomy friends introduced me to your product. After seeing your software on line, I wonder if I can do a full scale simulation.

Currently I’m having trouble interfacing PWI 3 & 4 with MaxIm DL for simulation. For example, after setting all the parameters (and for simulation) that I know of, slewing to a star in PWI 4 using the L mount system, I would expect the telescope to slew in MaxIm DL under its Dome tab, but don’t. Also I expect to see a star in MaxIm DL image.

For my observatory, the equipment I plan to use;

Planewave’s CDK17 telescope
    Planewave’s L-500 mount
    Planewave’s EFA Kit that controls IRF90 Focuser/Rotor and dew heater
    FLI PL16803 CCD camera
    FLI CDW5-7 filter wheel
    ZWO ASI174MM guide camera (OAG)
    ASH Dome’s controls

Also I’ll be interfacing these equipment via warm room 50 feet away using Digital Logger’s ProSwitch for power and an CommFront USB Hub with an UBS extender to the warm room.

And I plan to use SkyAlert for closing the dome’s shutter when bad weather approaches. I may use DHCP for ease of use, since I'll be sharing this weather station with another user.

I beleive Planewave’s EFA Kit will control the CCD camera focus with PWI 3 and FocusMax will control the focusing on the guide camera.

Also MaxIm DL has been crashing (frozen) and I expect this phenomenon is due to the 4 Gig RAM. I ordered another 4 Gig for my laptop. I plan to use the laptop (Windows 7) for initial setup and troubleshooting in the dome and switch over to a desktop in the warm room.

Also in the future (years) I would like to control everything remotely from my home.

So giving you what I plan to use and experienced, I wonder if your software can simulate all the hardware, without actually connecting the hardware.

Frank, MaxIm shouldn't be "crashing" - although it sounds like it may be stuck waiting on something.
    Can you head over to the MaxIm support forum here so that you can get some help with it?
    http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/
    (I work for Diffraction Limited, but am a long time ACP customer).

I suspect you've got a "who's the boss" problem - normally people don't use MaxIm connected to the dome etc at the same time ACP is running the show. If you're going to attempt it, then you need to use ASCOM hubs appropriately. ACP needs to be the boss.

Once I increase RAM to 8Gig, I'll see if it still hangs up. If I still have a hang up, I'll look for MaxIm DL log file, hopefully it can determine what's going on. I wonder if I have a conflict with both FocusMax and PWI 3 installed.

I wonder if I have a conflict with both FocusMax and PWI 3 installed.
    No. But PWI3 will get stuck trying to connect to a non-existent or powered-down mount. Have you tried the Telescope Simulator.NET like I posted above (instead of PlaneWave PWI etc)?
    -- Bob

That worked! In the Setup tab in Observation Control, I selected the option for the telescope and selected "Telescope Simulator for .NET" from the ASCOM Telescope Chooser window. Since then, MaxIm DL had not crashed. Thanks!

While Colin and the Diffraction folks help with MaxIM, be advised that ACP uses MaxIm only for image acquisition and guiding. MaxIm's own Observatory Control is out of the picture, and guiding uses the ASCOM Direct if you are software guiding (as opposed to guider cables).

I wonder if your software can simulate all the hardware, without actually connecting the hardware.
    Yes, by using the ASCOM Mount and Dome simulators (they come with the free and required ASCOM Platform) instead of your real dome and mount. When you select your dome and telescope, and the Chooser appears (and this is the same in MaxIm):

And here is a map to the info in ACP help about simulation (I know you maybe don't have the software yet but you'll get an idea of the level of detail in Help):

-- Bob

This is very encouraging, having the capability to simulate all the hardware. I have a friend that started to use ACP and he is very satisfied with it. First I have to determine what package to buy. In the future, a few years away, I plan to go remote.

You can start with ACP Basic and upgrade later with no penalty.
    -- Bob

Can ACP Basic handle Ethernet for DigitalLogger's ProSwitch? Also my astronomy partner with his own dome would like to share SkyAlert with me (we share the same warm room to control our observatories). The only way we can easily share SkyAlert is via the Ethernet system that relies on IP address on a DHCP router. Can ACP control my observatory's shutter with SkyAlert via this Ethernet System?

Can ACP Basic handle Ethernet for DigitalLogger's ProSwitch?
    What do you mean "handle"? ACP Basic doesn't have automated power control. It expects you to start up your observatory yourself (same with powering down).

The only way we can easily share SkyAlert is via the Ethernet system that relies on IP address on a DHCP router. Can ACP control my observatory's shutter with SkyAlert via this Ethernet System?
    I don't know enough to answer 100% but I doubt it without some scripting.
    -- Bob

Thread Information