Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Colin,

I was running version 3.3. Once I installed version 3.4, the setting showed up.

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas.

Bernard

Merry Christmas, Bernard !
    Glad to help.
    Colin

Holy Catfish! Colin! Nice work!
    -- Bob

I have the same problem. I can run PWI3 autofocus alone and it will find focus every time, but when I run it through ACP it never finds focus. So this thread was an eye-opener and I will try to make adjustments tonight. One question, what does "RBI" mean? LaVor

Hi Lavor,
    RBI = Residual Bulk Image
    This is a phenomenon where certain front-illuminated sensors retain a bit of a left-over charge from the photons that hit the pixels.

For example, the amazing ON Semiconductor chip used in the high-end STX-9000 camera suffers a bit from this.
    When you take an image of something (say your favourite nebula), and then take a subsequent image of a different object or a dark frame, sometimes there is a leftover "ghost image" from that nebula.
    RBI Pre-Flash uses a set of infra-red LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) inside the camera to fully saturate the chip, erase, and redo a few times. This maximizes the charge in all the pixels, and then clears it out.
    It is not needed for most cameras under most imaging conditions.

Thanks Colin. I have a couple of days while this next snow storm passes, so I will make some adjustments. I do have one other problem that I'm not sure how to fix. I noticed on Bernard Miller's log file that there are occasions on getting the guider set that he has a few lines that say"guide error n/a or too high." Mine does that and sometimes it goes through 50 tries without getting it set right. The guide star is dead center in the guide picture, so I am wondering about adjustments. Where and what kind of adjustments do I make? LaVor

Hi LaVor. Don't tell me about SNOW :-( I'm sick of it, and grey skies too. ha ha.
    There's a few ways to tackle this sort of thing.
    First off, details - need to know what all you have for a setup, e.g. what mount (Astro-Physics, Paramount MEII, Planewave L500, etc.), camera, guider setup (eg self guiding filter wheel, separate guide scope, Adaptive Optics unit, dichroic or off-axis guider, whatever), rotator, focuser and version of MaxIm (E.g. 6.20), using ASCOM Direct Guide or Guider Relays or what.
    Next thing to try is to get MaxIm to guide properly outside of ACP, on its own. That will help shake out things. If you have an AO, turn that off in MaxIm, get basic guiding going. Once that works, enable AO again.
    Make sure you get a nice big red L when calibrating the guider. Some folks don't realize that the bigger the star motion across the sensor area, the more precise the guider calibration will be.

Once you have that all good, then back into ACP to get it going.
    A couple suggestions in MaxIm -
    Turn on the capture of Guider Cal and Tracking images. It's on the Camera Control, Guide tab, [>] Options, down near the bottom, there are two lines.
    That way we can look at some guider images.
    The other thing is look at the MaxIm log window, to see what is happening there.
    Attach logs, and go from there.
    We could handle this over on the https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/ in more detail if need be.

After that, we'd want a look at your ACP logs.

I'm guessing by now you figured this out, you need the 3.4.1 beta 2 software to see that box.
    Peter

Also: if you don't get the nice big-L during guider calibration, don't give up--it may only be that MaxIm identified the wrong star during one of the excursions. If that happens, the quality of the mount doesn't even matter.

Choosing a sparse guider field for guider calibration helps prevent that. I find I have to stare at the calibration process to ensure the same star gets used for every guider-calibration exposure.

P.S.: What is "snow"?
    New Mexico Mira Project, Albuquerque NM

it may only be that MaxIm identified the wrong star during one of the excursions.
    I've also seen this if the cal star gets "too close" to the edge on one of the excursions. I will give up on that one and instead "see" a fainter one closer to center. So not only pick a bright star without other bright-ish ones, but start with it as close to center as practical.
    -- Bob

Thread Information