Default Can't install pinpoint

So I bought Pinpoint back in 2015, but for various reasons never got to use it. At the time it installed fine on the laptop I then had. I went to install it this evening, but get the following message:

'There is a problem with this installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.Contact your support personnel or vendor'.

Clipboard01.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? The Pinpoint version is 6.0b

Thanks,

joe

[rbd edit: PinPoint installer does not require Administrator]

Solved it. In case it helps anyone else, you must install as administrator....

Silly me.

Joe
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Dec 4, 2018 at 23:18. Reason: Added notation at top. I'm sorry but I need to control old wives' tales.

Please remove the .exe that was placed on the end of the installer's file by Internet Exploder. You probably have "hide extensions of known file types" (the default in Windows). Remove the .exe and try again. Or download it with any other browser, none of which will add that extra ".exe" onto the end of the file name.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McCAuley View Post
    Solved it. In case it helps anyone else, you must install as administrator....

Silly me.

Joe
    Actually PinPoint installer does not require administrator so this is amazing. I just tested it on an up-to-date Windows 10 system with full UAC enabled, and it elevated itself as it should. Please see my other reply about the .exe added by Internet Exploder.

I edited your post to note this, and I apologize if that seems harsh. I really need to control rumors about my software needing Administrator mode. It has caused loads of pain to the point where the new ACP and Scheduler will absolutely refuse to run at all in Administrator mode.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Please remove the .exe that was placed on the end of the installer's file by Internet Exploder. You probably have "hide extensions of known file types" (the default in Windows). Remove the .exe and try again. Or download it with any other browser, none of which will add that extra ".exe" onto the end of the file name.
    Thanks for the reply Bob. In my case there was definitely no extra .exe at the end of the filename. I had no issues installing it at all on my last laptop (win7). This time on a win10x64 machine (using the same .msi install file as before), running the msi from a file explorer window which had been started as administrator did the trick.

Thanks,

Joe

OK, thanks for the clarification. All I ask is that you don't give others the advice to run any of our software "as administrator" and that includes any installers. I have spent a load of time cleaning up after problems arising mostly from running the programs themselves "as administrator". It actually shouldn't hurt to run an installer that way but you will not see the elevation screen, and I never test any of the installers under those conditions because they are designed to Windows specs not to need it.

Sorry if I seem overbearing on this but it is a sore spot :-) :-)

Enjoy PinPoint!!!
    -- Bob

Thread Information