One of the remaining topics i'm not 100% comfortable with is the mount flip with the Losmandy Gemini2 - everything else is running as expected (imaging, guiding, web, autofocus, plate solving,etc). I realize there has been a lot of discussion on this topic so this post isn't necessarily another question but maybe a work around. Please note that I have had luck with my Losmandy GM8-11 Gemini2 flipping, but it doesn't happen all the time. I may still have some settings that need tweaking for this to be reliable so it's likely operator error. Right now it's not reliable and i have come outside in the middle of the night and the session stopped because the mount reached it's tracking limit.

Would it be possible to insert a target in the middle of my imaging run so that my mount went to a second target - a bright star or something, took a quick image, then slewed back to the main target. If i timed this right the main target would have crossed the meridian and i assume the mount would flip when going back to the main target. I realize this isn't efficient but i am willing to loose a few minutes of imaging and focus for the imaging run to go longer into the night. While i sleep.

I think I could use hour angle to estimate when my mount should flip. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone tried this?

thanks in advance...

Dave