Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Telescope hosted in Benson, Arizona; I live in northern Maine

Default ACP: Run-time Error 6 Overflow at Noon - WeatherWatcher bug

Hi,

ACP has been crashing with the display of a dialog box entitled "ACP" with the contents "Run-time Error 6 Overflow" and an "OK" button. See attached screenshot. This tends to happen in the middle of the day (i.e., not observing), but has happened at night too, possibly when there is a weather safe event, but that is hard to verify. I notice because the ACP webpage display on my home computer is just raw text. See attached .txt file. Other posts suggest this is a hardware problem, maybe USB to my weather sensor, a Foster Systems AstroAlert V(4)+? As far as the environment goes, I tend to keep up with the latest Windows 10 updates. It looks like I am behind on ASCOM -- 6.3. I can update if that might provide a fix.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

jpm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

I don't know the meaning of the error 6, but when I changed the suffix on your attached file to .html, it opened normally in a browser with a plugin error on the MathSVGPlugin, which may relate to error 6. That's a funny error to get since MathSVGPlugin is working in mine and others' ACP.

In a browser, your file actually looks and behaves like an author.html file. If you've done recent editing in the authoring environment, you might try reverting to an earlier saved version (find it in the Doc Root/author-backup folder. If you need help with how to do that, let me know), especially if you know this problem appeared suddenly and recently.

I tried to compare my MathSVGPlugin tiddler to yours, and noticed differences, even though the create date and modify date are the same. I believe the the differences are in formatting the style in which the tiddler is presented in the authoring window, and not substantive differences. It's very hard to discern since the text is minified.

I don't know what else to suggest at this point.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

The error 6 is the result of something other than a number, or a preposterously giant number trying to be converted into an integer or something like that. Or maybe a division by 0. But I see you sent a copy of the ACP web page. As it is static can't produce this error. Just to make sure I understand, you're leaving ACP running with the the System Status web page open all day (which is fine), and at some point during the day, this error appears. This would point to something coming from the weather. So run a day with the weather disconnected. DOes it still happen? That can help "divide and conquer"...
    -- Bob

Thanks so much for the replies! I disabled the [[Weather]] tiddler in my startup list and the problem hasn't repeated itself.

Note, I did not disconnect the weather server/safety monitor from ACP. It is still running in the System Status window since I have Scheduler running all the time (i.e., I get a Weather report like "Clear Calm" there). Based on Bob's answer, I'd guess the problem is the calculation of the Weather tiddler % clouds value or some other numeric field getting confused, maybe by noise in the report from the weather monitor. I would be happy to send the 1-line weather log file if someone wants to dig through it, but for me the problem is solved so I am happy to move on to other issues.

Again, thanks for your responses!

jpm

Ah. I am at a conference so wait till next week, it I could probably look at that with my web browser here. If you can give me a login I can probably tell you what’s out of range.... or maybe find a bug in my code!!! Let me know if you want to do that.
    -- Bob

I'm obviously back from AAVSO (and Thanksgiving). I can get onto your system if you can still repro it and see what's happening.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

It just happened again this afternoon, this time without the [[Weather]] tiddler on. Attached is the AstroAlert log from today which may help debug the problem. If you need the login to the web browser let me know.

jpm
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can't read the AstroAlert log. I assume this cannot be reproduced at will. Can you tell me how the Foster Systems data gets into ACP? Is WeatherWatcher involved? Which ACP weather server are you using (what is the weather server ID)? I'm not going to be able to solve this until I have some sort of smoking gun or a way to repro it.
    -- Bob

Hi Jeff,

I have the same problem. It doesn't just happen in the middle of the day, it happens every day at exactly noon local time - WeatherWatcher logfile errors start to happen, and the system eventually crashes until you restart. I have not reported it yet as I now automatically restart the system at 11:59 am and the problem occurs while restarting. Some Julian Day calendars start at noon, so maybe this is related to the bug.

I need to submit this when I get the chance to ccdastro. WeatherWatcher does freeze on me on occasion during the night (different issue) approx. 1/week, so WW may get my attention.

Russ
    Last edited by Russell Carroll; Dec 24, 2018 at 04:36.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of WeatherWatcher (7.1.0), and the noon time bug has been fixed. Chuck was aware of it.

Thread Information