Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rotator angle in Planner and/or TheSky Plan Capture?

After eight years dark, we built an observatory at our new house, and I'm getting back up to speed with ACP and Planner. Tonight I tested Planner's integration with TheSkyX using TheSky Plan Capture. I used the "Add Target from FOVI" button

I see in the Planner docs that the FOVI/camera position angle is not transferred go Planner. That's a surprise; I thought it WAS transferred in TheSky 6.

Assuming there is no way to transfer the angle except write it down, how do I enter it into Planner? Do I have to edit my observing plan in a text editor, and enter it manually into the plan?

I sure hope there's an easier and more direct way to get the camera angle.

Thanks.

--- Mike
    http://astronomy.mdodd.com

I see in the Planner docs that the FOVI/camera position angle is not transferred go Planner
    Woah! Where did you see that? I need to fix it :-)

If you use TheSky Plan Capture applet, the Add Target from FOVI" definitely creates a target in Planner with both the J2000 RA/Dec and also the Position Angle from the FOVI filled in. I'm unsure how it's possible that you aren't seeing this? Maybe TheSky's scripting interface hasn't yet been registered? If that were true, however, the Sky Plan Capture applet would not have even been installed. Shut down Planner, TheSky Plan Capture, and TheSky. Now start TheSky Plan Capture. Does Planner auto-start? Does TheSKy auto-start? Now capture from FOVI. Edit the resulting target in Planner. DO you not see the RA/Dec/PA?
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Woah! Where did you see that? I need to fix it :-)
    I thought I saw it in the Planner help file.

Shut down Planner, TheSky Plan Capture, and TheSky. Now start TheSky Plan Capture. Does Planner auto-start? Does TheSKy auto-start? Now capture from FOVI. Edit the resulting target in Planner. DO you not see the RA/Dec/PA?
    I did all that.

1. TheSky Plan Capture launches.
    2. Planner auto-starts.
    3. TheSkyX auto-starts.

In SkyX, I centered my target, M33, and centered the FOVI. The FOVI is rotated nearly 90 degrees. I clicked Capture from FOVI. The coordinates appeared in Planner as "FOVI coordinates" along with a start and end time.

There is no RA and Dec -- only the "FOVI coordinates" target name and the times.

There is no PA.

I will insert three screen shots.
    #1 is SkyX, planner, and TheSky Plan Capture ready for me to click the Capture from FOVI buton.
    #2 is the target in Planner, with no coordinates or PA visible.
    #3 is the plan opened in my text editor. No PA is included.

Planner1.jpgPlanner2.jpgPlanner3.jpg

Welcome back, Mike! Do you have a new (or old) website to show off your new observatory? Funny, your avatar here doesn't look eight years older!
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Possibly you didn't tell Planner you have a rotator, so it's not paying attention to the PA? I know, there is lots to remember and set up here as ACP has to be compatible with an infinite number of combinations of stuff from many possible companies in many possible configurations.

-- Bob

Possibly you didn't tell Planner you have a rotator, so it's not paying attention to the PA? I know, there is lots to remember and set up here as ACP has to be compatible with an infinite number of combinations of stuff from many possible companies in many possible configurations.
    I had not done that, so I did so. But still no PA appears in Planner or the .TXT plan file.

--- Mike

Thanks, Dick. I'll try to get a new avatar photo soon. My astronomy website is the same http://astronomy.mdodd.com but with a spiffed-up nav bar.

The observatory page is here: http://astronomy.mdodd.com/observatory.html It's 10'x14' vs for former 8'x12'.

--- Mike

OK, now I have to see it with my own eyes. I'm done for today. Give me some times this week. It can be during the day.
    -- Bob

OK, now I have to see it with my own eyes. I'm done for today. Give me some times this week. It can be during the day.
    Are saying you want to remote-in to my PC? Sorry, I can't do that. We have metered internet data with a monthly cap, and we get only 330 MB per day. Remote control can burn a LOT of data.

Any other options? My screen shots tell the whole story. I'll be happy to work with you on the phone. I'll do exactly what you say, and tell you what I see on the screen.

Sorry I don't have unlimited data like most everyone else. Maybe by next year.

--- Mike

Never mind. Now it's working.

If I right-click -> Edit the target in Planner, the PA is there. If i save the file, it now contains a "#posang 26.0" entry. I never saw those before. Must have done something wrong. but I don't know what.

--- Mike

Thread Information