Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Guider Settle stalls [in MaxIm] and stops plan execution

I have just completed the setting up of a new PC with all the required software in the observatory after the last one crashed and burned big time. I have checked it all out and it is working in all areas of guiding, focusing, plans etc. Tonight whilst imaging M27 on the change to the Clear filter the guider settle time got to 4 of 5 secs and everything just froze even though the log said it was starting the exposure. I was forced to abort the process in order to regain control of the system. I had to disconnect the cameras and shut down Focusmax and MaxIm DL in order to regain control of the system. Having got everything reconnected I modified the plan and removed from the counts etc the filters Ha, SII and OIII which had all completed successfully and tried again with the plan starting at the Clear filter. Two further attempts resulted in the same issue, Guider settle got to 4 of 5 secs and everything froze again. No idea what to do. I have tried adding the logs as attachments but I cannot manage to do it. I must be doing something wrong, I click on the attachment paperclip icon, the choose file window opens, I select the logfile and it does not attach to the post.
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

The first thing with a new observatory PC, and it's pretty easy to forget, is to make very sure that USB Suspend is completely disabled. For Win 7 it's in Power Options under Control Panel; not sure about Win 10. While you're there, check all the other timeout and suspend options such as monitor, hard drive, etc to ensure they are set to your liking.
    measuring space rock rotation rates, live from Albuquerque NM

Default Attachments to post

I have attached the logs from the Guider Settle problems and also the failed pointing updates. After the successive failures I abandoned the run and just decided to do some pointing updates for the model. Things went from bad to worse. All the Centerscope.vbs attempts failed at the same point. A TestPointing.vbs also failed at he same point. Gave up at midnight confused and baffled since this was all working correctly earlier in the evening.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David Lawson; Oct 11, 2018 at 08:46. Reason: Found how to add attachments

I will check out USB Suspend as I was not aware it existed. However, the run, when the problem of guider settle appeared, had already successfully completed the Acquire Star Autofocus, Guiding was excellent and it had successfully completed the first three filter sets. On moving on to the fourth Clear filter se,t the system froze at "4 of 5 Secs" of Guider Settle and the only way out was aborting the run.
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

I have attached the log from the run when the problem occurred showing successful autofocus, guiding and the first three filter sets before I had to abort because the system froze.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David Lawson; Oct 24, 2018 at 10:35.
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Bob, I am still waiting for help with my issue......
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Oh ugh, sorry. I had bookmarked this as "probable hardware issues" and set it aside. From your description and looking at the logs. I'm not seeing a guider settle problem in ACP

20:15:39 (taking 180 sec. exposure, Clear filter, binning = 1)
    20:15:40 (ex=0.07 ey=0.22)
    20:15:40 (guider check OK)
    20:15:45 (starting exposure)

20:20:46 **Imaging error: Exposure Aborted
    20:21:37 **Script Error**
    20:21:39 Source: ACP
    20:21:39 Message: The script was aborted.

the guider is within limits immediately and you are not dithering (which will caused ACP to do an extended settle check for that step-input). Is this the Guider Settle phase within MaxIm itself. Are you seeing this in the MaxIM UI? From the above, it appears that ACP has verified that the guider is running and has furnished a guide error from a measurement, then ACP has started the exposure on the main camera (or at least tried to do so), at which time MaxIM became stuck. Can you describe the issue in a bit more detail?
    -- Bob

Hi Bob, I am assuming it was in the guider settle phase in MaxIm, it appears in the camera control window under camera 1. It displays guider settle for 5 secs and the count stalls at 4 and the whole system just stopped working. The ACP console shows the yellow exp notification but the exposure never starts because the guider settle has frozen at 4 secs. However, the situation has gone away but only because the computer died completely three days later. I have been provided with a replacement under Warrenty which I have spent the last week getting ready. All the software is installed and running under the simulators. I am waiting for a decent dry clear night to try out the observatory with the full operational set up. This coming Friday and the weekend looks promising. You may as well close this thread since the computer is gone. However, I would be interested to know if you have an answer to why it may have occurred. Many thanks.

David

This definitely sounds like USB or camera intermittency. On your new system, make certain the sleep timers on the USB ports are disabled, use high grade cables, as good a wuality USB hubs as possible. Let us know. FOr now, I will move thos to the hardware etc. section. It's not the software locking up.
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob, will let you know how it goes.

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Thread Information