Default AstroMC acting erratically

Hello,

I have had some luck getting StartupObs.js (in Scheduler) and ShutdownObs.js (in ACP Console) to work properly (thanks to the sample code provided and relevant discussions on the forum).

However, I am confused as to how to modify these scripts for use outside of Scheduler and from a non-ACP Console (such as a debugger or Wscript/Cscript with cmd.exe).

Currently, when I try to run StartupObs.js from the ACP Console, it fails to open my AstroMC roll-off roof before trying to home the Telescope. I have to manually Abort in TheSkyX to prevent my scope from running into the closed roof. When I run StartupObs.js via the Scheduler everything works as expected, the roof opens and ACP waits till it is open to Home the scope.

Note: I have a Telescope FindHome command near the end of my script and use a Dome.Shutterstatus to check if the Rome is open, but it doesn't catch that the Roof is closed when run from the ACP Console.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Paul

I am not 100% clear. One thing... the sample startup scripts use ACP-supplied objects that are added to the scripting namespace by ACP (which is its own script host analogous to wscript/cscript). The same API members are available from an "external" script or program (in just about any language) but you have to create and access them explicitly. See the API docs for which things need creating and which things are pre-created and accessible via parent objects.

Currently, when I try to run StartupObs.js from the ACP Console, it fails to open my AstroMC roll-off roof before trying to home the Telescope. I have to manually Abort in TheSkyX to prevent my scope from running into the closed roof. When I run StartupObs.js via the Scheduler everything works as expected, the roof opens and ACP waits till it is open to Home the scope.
    There are too many moving parts for me to make guesses here. What do you mean "it fails"? What call are you making? What is the error? How can calling for the dome to open result in the scope homing? I know I am missing some pieces to the puzzle.
    -- Bob

HiBob,I’ve been trying to reply, but keep getting errors. I sent my reply to your email address.Paul

How did you reply just now? Would you please post your reply here? I don't look at email until I have finished addressing the issues here and they are still coming in :-)

I looked at your email. Would you try to post again now? I'll call you too. I apologize for the forum problems. I can't duplicate that here but I have received a couple of reports about this. The problem seems to be transient. I know nothing about the forum software except how to configure it etc.
    -- Bob

I tried calling the -6314 number and got voice mail. Try to post the problem again. If you still have problems please feel free to call me at +1 480 396 9700 and I'll try to help.
    -- Bob

Stillgettingerrors

I’ll call in about 20mins

OK we talked. Something about your post is triggering the error because... you can post

I’ll call in about 20mins
    Weird. We'll continue when you get back from your trip.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

Nice talking to you Friday.

As you suggested, I checked whether I might have been running different versions of Startupobs.js from Scheduler and ACP and confirmed that they were from the same path.

I did some testing and was able to produce the same results when running Startupobs.js from both Scheduler and ACP (it worked!). However, while testing I noticed that AstroMC was behaving erratically, specifically the AtPark monitor would sometimes show unsafe, even after I had confirmed that it was showing safe. So at this point I suspect ACP was getting an unsafe condition while in the middle of my script, which either caused the wait for the dome to time-out or resulting in the code falling through to a Telescope.Home command I had as the last instruction in the script.

So, I am going to focus on trying to get AstroMC to behave predictably and will let you know if I need further assistance.

Thanks,

Paul

This makes more sense. Thanks very much for digging into this and working toward the physical evidence. I truly appreciate it.
    -- Bob

Thread Information