Default Error message when opening Maxim DL 6

I purchased pinpoint about 18 months ago and have been using it with Maxim DL and SGP. A few weeks ago, it stopped working with SGP and now I get a message when trying to open Maxim that says, "Your pinpoint full license has expired, and a newer version is required for Maxim DL 6. Do you want to downgrade to Pinpoint LE?

I wasn't aware that my Pinpoint license had an expiration date? I have been using it with Maxim DL 6 for some time and am unsure why I am getting this message now.

Thank you for any suggestions!
    Kent

Any chance you are running windows 10? If so, likely an update was applied and messed up the registration. There is a sticky thread on this topic.

Colin may be right, or... you may have updated MaxIm DL. When MaxIm does an update, sometimes they add features which require later versions of PinPoint than you might have, thus they usually distribute the latest PinPinPoint (6.1). If your PinPoint license has expired for upgrades and support then you aren't entitled to the later version of PinPoint which MaxIm now needs for its newer feature(s). So you have a choice: drop back to PinPoint LE and lose the full usage of PinPoint, or upgrade PinPoint to the latest version. Unfortunately there cannot be two PinPoints (an old one and a new one) in a single Windows system.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Colin may be right, or... you may have updated MaxIm DL. When MaxIm does an update, sometimes they add features which require later versions of PinPoint than you might have, thus they usually distribute the latest PinPinPoint (6.1). If your PinPoint license has expired for upgrades and support then you aren't entitled to the later version of PinPoint which MaxIm now needs for its newer feature(s). So you have a choice: drop back to PinPoint LE and lose the full usage of PinPoint, or upgrade PinPoint to the latest version. Unfortunately there cannot be two PinPoints (an old one and a new one) in a single Windows system.

Bob and Colin, thanks for your reply. Colin, yes I think the Windows 10 update did create some havoc. Several months ago I went through the recommendations Bob made and manually switched several of the ascom files to the "call" preference. Things were working fine for awhile, but then started acting up a few weeks ago.

Bob, I purchased Maxim DL6 and Pinpoint about the same time 18 months ago, and they were working fine together. I'm not sure why they would conflict now. SGP can't find Pinpoint now either. I couldn't see any any files in the DCOMCNFG folder that looked like it applied to SGP. I tried to run the 32 bit DCOMCNFG, to see if they were there, but my machine wouldn't let me. I'm not sure why, but I'm not supper computer savvy.

Also, when I go to the pinpoint folder and select "Register Pinpoint", which I did just to make sure that hadn't changed, I get an error message "Run Time Error 429. Active X component can't create object"

Sorry to bother you with this. Please let me know if you have any suggestions

Thank you very much,
    Kent

What could have changed a few weeks ago? Can you re-run your old PinPoint installer and see if repair gets you back where you can see the license applet?

The changes for the January MS problem cannot affect PinPoint anyway. It is an "in process" (DLL) server and is not subject to the cross-process and or DCOM stuff at all. It is impossible that the January update thing could have affected PinPoint itself. Also, the changes in DCOMCNFG are harmless even though Microsoft fixed the issue back in early March.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    What could have changed a few weeks ago? Can you re-run your old PinPoint installer and see if repair gets you back where you can see the license applet?

The changes for the January MS problem cannot affect PinPoint anyway. It is an "in process" (DLL) server and is not subject to the cross-process and or DCOM stuff at all. It is impossible that the January update thing could have affected PinPoint itself. Also, the changes in DCOMCNFG are harmless even though Microsoft fixed the issue back in early March.

Hi Bob,
    I reinstalled pinpoint and Maxim DL, something I probably should have done right away, and it works fine. Sorry. I appreciate your help and time.

Best regards,
    Kent

Ok, well this will remain a mystery, but you got it back!! Bravo. Thanks for letting us know.
    -- Bob

Thread Information