Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Need Test Subjects: DC-3 Dreams Live TV

Edit: Next show Saturday Evening (USA time) 06-May-2018 @ 0100 UTC - Final "Test" Episode

I have been working on a setup for live TV shows that will allow viewers to type into a real-time chat log that everyone can see, and also can optionally include a guest coming in via Skype (and possibly other VoIP type apps). It has been a heck of a lot of software installing and learning, and I think I'm just about there, at least as a first cut. I have lots of ideas for live shows, and I think I can effectively show people how to get around in ACP and Scheduler while responding to live questions. This will not be for tech support.

At this point I'd like to ask for some folks who have time to "tune in" and send me messages live, then have me respond. Once I get used to that, I'll ask for someone who wants to join me as a live guest via Skype. If you're interested, Post back here. I should be ready to test this tomorrow (Tuesday), I just have a few more things to do. I have opened a new "branded" channel The DC-3 Dreams, SP Channel, and will be uploading the DC-3 Dreams Videos that are in my old personal channel to this one. I'll leave them there so that links to them will still work. The live shows will show in The DC-3 Dreams, SP Channel.

Checklist:
    1. You need a YouTube (Google) account and must be logged into YouTube in order to participate in the live chat.
    2. If you are unfamiliar with YouTube, or have never seen live streaming video there, you should get into YouTube and find some live video then practice getting full screen and high resolution. Here is a live streaming program to play with. If it's not live, look around or search for "Live Train Norway" in YouYube. Once you're looking at it, get the Chat window on the right open and watch the comments. Say something nice in the chat so you are sure you can participate.
    3. Now you're ready to watch a show!
    4. If you want to be a guest on a show, you will need a webcam, microphone, and Skype. I can also accommodate voice only guests but the video has more impact.
    5. Go to The DC-3 Dreams, SP Channel at the time I announce (here) for the live video and make sure the chat area on the right is opened up.

Please post back if you'll be available to test and maybe a test guest!
    Last edited by Bob Denny; May 2, 2018 at 20:58.
    -- Bob

OK I'm going to try this at 2300 UTC today (Tuesday 10-Apr). The live stream will start about 10 minutes before (2250) with just a static picture and some music, so you will be able to get the show up on your monitor, make sure it is 1080 HD and that you can hear the music, and you can type into the chat box. I'll start at 2300 and take questions. If no questions I'll talk a little about the recent first light at the Rancho Mirage Observatory.
    -- Bob

It went reasonably well, one visitor. Right now YouTube is trimming off the very long test period at the front. The actual program is just 14 minutes. I'll post it here once YouTube is finished.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry I missed your invitation earlier this afternoon, for tuning in here at 2300 UT. But I watched the "rebroadcast" at the link you provided. I did have to sign in. I noticed there was about 45 minutes of your test pattern interspersed with your DC3-Dreams clouds before your broadcast began. I assume that was not YouTube's doing. Here are some comments to questions you asked.

I easily received the 1080p HD video stream without any jerks, jumps, or interruptions. I'm viewing on a 27-inch ViewSonic at full screen. It looked really good - crisp with no dropouts. My receiving data rate varied between about 150 kBps (maybe even zero) and 350 kBps. See attached - the vertical scale max is 400 kBps and the horizontal grid spacing is 10 seconds each. I only have a DSL connection at the moment, so I was surprised by the high quality at that data rate. The audio and video were in perfect sync, at least to my aging eyes. I couldn't tell a difference when you adjusted the sync.

When you look directly at the camera, there is a reflection of the camera in, and a brightening of the flat glass on, the front of your eyeglass lenses that hides your eyes some. Probably nothing to do about that - I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm sure this was great fun for an engineer, as you are, to set this up and make it work. Good job!! I'm looking forward to the next test and will try to tune in live at that time. You mentioned going to Ontario in June. I hope you will post an Out of the Office note about that when the time gets close.

Talk to you later. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

Thanks for the feedback Dick. The test pattern is being trimmed off at YouTube as I write. I will need to trim it off after each “broadcast” and it can take an hour or two (time at YouTube). I plan to wear contacts next time ha ha. Also I will put a chat scroller on the “waiting to start” video.

Thanks again.
    -- Bob

Sorry I missed this too. I tweaked my YouTube notifications in my subscription to your channel so that (I hope) I will get heads up on subsequent broadcasts. I think this will be a great resource for existing and new customers.
    Newcastle Observatory
    Meade 0.4m ACF
    Mathis MI-600 Fork Mount
    Van Slyke OMG5 focuser in SuperStack
    Optec NextGEN 0.7x (f/7.1)

QSI 516ws
    Astrodon BVRI & LRGB
    Affiliations:
    -Gamma Ray Burst Coordinates Network (GCN)
    -MPC Observatory Code: H61
    -GTN Partner GTN-33
    -AAVSO Observer Code: CMJA
    -DRAA
    -RASC

OK, here's number one, with the test and waiting stuff tripped off the front. I'll start another thread with each if the videos in it. I'm also in the process of migrating the legacy DC-3 videos over to the new channel.

Inaugural DC-3 Dreams TV
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Apr 11, 2018 at 06:14. Reason: Use special BBCode ytHL to eliminate unrelated videos at end
    -- Bob

I will be online again Saturday Evening (USA time) 15-Apr-2018 @ 0100 UTC. I'm hoping to have a guest. The channel has a "friendly" URL now, https://www.youtube.com/c/DC3DreamsAstro. I'm still making changes to the layout so bear with me.

Please note that you must subscribe to the channel in order to see the recordings of previous live programs. Once you do, the live recordings will appear at the top of the channel in place of the "Welcome" trailer that new users see.
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob - that was a great test tonight. Quality was fine for me (cable modem), 720p was adequate for seeing your shared screen, although a bit small and fuzzy. Better at 1080.
    Definitely a bit of latency in the chat to video. It's a bit like tape-delay - we hear you and see you, then type a comment, but it is quite a few seconds before it shows up... a bit hard to understand that is going on.
    It was a bit funny hearing a G@d#D@!# from you while you were trying to mute the cellphone. ;-)
    Books and stuff in background is fine, makes it authentic, not too slick. I recently used a green screen with RASC's 29 centres across the country, and although fun, performance wasnt great.

Topic-wise, it might be nice to have a few ACP tips, or customer stories, or "common pitfalls" and how to work around them. And for dessert, maybe a little treat of something you've just whipped up or are working on.

Hi Bob,

It was really problematic for me this time around. Truly, it's my Frontier ADSL connection, supposedly 3.5 Mbps downloading, but rarely even half that. (In DC I had 50Mbps. I'm soooo Internet poor here in central NY.) Plus there are two others in the house right now also probably trying to watch other YouTube videos. It's a challenge, especially hampered by Fontier's crappy router part of the modem, which doesn't have enough power to penetrate a vacuum. And I'm on the other side of the house from the router, connected by WiFi and not hard wired with Ethernet. Next time I might run a LONG Ethernet cable from my computer to the modem. Enough ranting about this.

Beside the video interrupts, I only have three other comments. One is that in full-screen mode I don't know how to enter text into the sidebar text window, so to enter text I have to leave full-screen mode where the chat panel is available. I suspect that it can be undocked (maybe?) or opened in a separate window. The other issue is that the text messaging for me was far behind my typing, some number of minutes even. I think this is probably a YouTube issue and not related to my c****y Internet. Finally, when I first logged in, there were two choices of your program presented on YouTube, one above the other. I don't know if they were different. I chose the one at the top.

Maybe the typing hysteresis is purposeful. If the texts were instantaneous, everyone would be texting all the time and you'd be reading them all all the time. The Program would come to a halt.

It was nice to be able to see what I could, in any case. I imagine what you've implemented is similar to how online courses are taught. I will be interesting to see what goes on when you introduce a "guest" via Skype to this channel.

Thanks for all this hard work. It's neat!
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

Thread Information