Hybrid View

Default PinPoint fails to solve from 10 Micron modelling software

Hi Guys,

I've posted this query on a few other appropriate forums including 10Micron but got no answers as yet.

I am using 10Micron mount, Maxim DL, Win10, Modelmaker sky modelling app'.

If I run the MM app' it takes an image which appears in Maxim, the correct coordinates appear in the PinPoint window but no attempt is made to solve it.

If I keep the image on screen, stop the MM app then run PinPoint it solves in seconds.

Obviously not a PinPoint problem as it's working OK but I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,

Dave

Unsure what you mean by "run PinPoint"... do you mean the Visual PinPoint application? If it's solving there and not in MM, then maybe the settings are different? PinPoint itself is an "engine" and the application that hosts it is responsible for the settings and function calls that result in a plate solution and center coordinates. The settings in Visual PinPoint are totally unrelated to the settings provided by MM to PinPoint. Also is this a "sample of one" or are all of the images failing to solve?
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

Modelmaker takes an image, solves it using PinPoint then slews to the next point, solves and moves on.
    This has always worked OK in the past but now it takes an image which appears in the Maxim window but fails to solve, moves on, fails to solve, moves on never solving.
    If I pause Modelmaker and with the solve failed image still in the Maxim screen click Analyse in Maxim to bring up the PinPoint window and click process it solves in seconds.
    The coordinates in the PinPoint window and those shown on the mount hand control are the same and I've checked this by centring Vega and solving the image.
    As I said not a problem with PinPoint perse just wondered if you could shed any light on my problem.
    If as you say Modelmaker accesses PinPont independently can you tell me if I have the PinPoint window open while Modelmaker is running should the solving appear in the PinPoint window ?
    If it ever stops raining here I'll have another go.

Thanks

Dave

It's possible, from your description, that ModelMaker is using MaxIm via its scripting interface and then MaxIm is making the calls to PinPoint. I am unfamiliar with ModelMaker so I'm not able to offer much more. Who knows what other calls to MaxIm it's making? I will say that plate solving an image with a super bright star in the middle is a difficult case because nearby stars are not in the star catalog since the glow from the bright star washes them out. Pick some random place in the sky. I apologize but I am in the dark on this one.

Is there a way to get info from the 10 Micro people?
    -- Bob

Thanks for your input Bob, I only used Vega as something unmistakeable with known coordinates to verify that the mount and computer were on the same page.
    Sadly the guy that put together the Modelmaker program died at a young age so there is no real support for it any more.
    Have enquired on the 10Micron and other forums with no luck so far.

Dave

OK, yeah I knew him fairly well and he was great to work with. Tragic. I am surprised that 10 Micron hasn't found a new support/programming person.

-- Bob
    -- Bob

Bit more clear sky to try this and discovered that the right co-ords are not being written to the fits header for some reason so this means PP has no chance of solving.
    Just done a test on Arcturus co-ords 14.16.27 / +19.05.04 these are shown on the mount handset but in the Fitts header which PP is using as the centre of the image it says 16.34.36 / +75.03.31.

Not a clue what's going on now.

Dave

So got an image with the right co-ords in the fits header, this fails to solve in Maxim but solves in a couple of seconds using Visual PinPoint so it appears to be a problem with Maxim.
    Last edited by David Taylor; May 4, 2018 at 22:15.

If you are using MaxIm's Observatory Control along with ACP you risk confusion. ACP puts the nominal coordinated (as sent back from the mount) into the FITS header. Make sure MaxIm's Observatory Control is totally disconnected. If you are software guiding use ASCOM Direct not Telescope:

-- Bob

Using 10Micron unguided and using Maxim / PinPoint for modelling, this has always worked OK for a couple of years but recently plate solving stopped working.

All the setup and settings are unaltered.

Thanks

Dave

OK, then I need to see ACP run log files from the nights where you did not get FITS (or got incorrect FITS) RA/DEC and/or OBJCTRA/OBJCTDEC (the nominal-telescope indicated position) into your images. This is important, as this is supposed to be a fundamental part of ACP.
    -- Bob

Thread Information