Threaded View

Default Moonlite NiteCrawler Rotator PA Issue

I've been having trouble getting the mechanical angles of my Moonlite NiteCrawler rotator/focuser to match up with the PA in ACP.

The first thing I did was manually slew the rotator to 0 degrees. I took an image using MaxIm, analyzed it with Pinpoint and got an offset of about -4.5 degrees. Not great, but this alignment corresponded with my visual inspection.

So this evening I tried using Scheduler to run dusk flats and the rotator was immediately told to rotate to the mechanical angle 254. Obviously nowhere near a PA=0 or PA=180. i'm not sure where that number came from. I tried using the calibrateguider and centerscope scripts to get the PA in ACP to match the 4.5 degree offset but the results were all over the board.

I went ahead and set up a plan in Planner to take an image series. I manually rotated to mechanical=0 and then started the plan. The first thing that happened was the rotator was told to rotate to 71.2 degrees. As FocusMax went through its routine I noted that the rotated angle of the plate solve was 66.7 degrees (71.2-4.5=66.7). After FocusMax completed its focus run ACP took a pointing image and saw that there was a 71.1 degree rotator error. The rotator was told to move to 142.3 degrees. Not sure what is going on. I've attached the log of the Plan run.

I do know the NiteCrawler is set up to move to a position in either direction using the shortest path. My limits are set at +190 and -190 in order to avoid cord wrap.

Suggestions welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dan Simpson
    Galisteo Observatory
    Santa Fe, NM

Thread Information