Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default [closed] Controlling Dust Cover

[moderator note: This long running thread has been closed - in the end the Alluna software was corrected]

Am in the process of automating my observatory. Am stuck on how to operate the dust cover. I have contacted the telescope manufacturer who also make their own control system. They have sent me this in reply to my query about how that might be done:

You can also control DustCover via the Application Programming Interface (API) interface.

command:
    SetDustCoverOpens/Closes the DC-Flaps.
    GetDustCover
    Returns the current DustCover status, 1 = Open or 0 = Closed.

I haven't written in javascript since the late 90's. I have read the threads on the flip-flap in this forum area but I am still not closer to writing the code I need. Probably most simply would be to have code that I can insert into my StartUp and Shutdown scripts. Also having direct control through a tiddler would be helpful for manual control.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Peter
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Feb 12, 2020 at 13:01.

Peter, there are quite a number of ACP users out there, and maybe one has solved this before.
    How about sharing which telescope SPECIFICALLY, and what control system/drivers/versions etc.
    e.g. it's a 74" Warner and Swasey with Corning-glass mirror petal cover with an ASCOM 6.3 driver version 1921.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Haig View Post
    Peter, there are quite a number of ACP users out there, and maybe one has solved this before.
    How about sharing which telescope SPECIFICALLY, and what control system/drivers/versions etc.
    e.g. it's a 74" Warner and Swasey with Corning-glass mirror petal cover with an ASCOM 6.3 driver version 1921.
    Hi Colin

Thanks for your response. It is for an Alluna 18RCT with ASCOM 6.3 driver. The telescope comes with its owns control system called TCS( telescope control system). Windows 10. Running latest ACP, Scheduler, Maxim DL for camera control, The Sky X with Paramount ME.

This is the pdf of the TCS with the API details : http://www.alluna-optics.com/Downloa..._manual_EN.pdf

I have just had an email back from the manufacturer. They have advised me the commands I gave are only for Serial use through serial monitor, so for live action , which I don't need.

Am wondering if there is a way through ASCOM or some other way to control this automatically.

The manufacturer could write an ASCOM "switch" driver which would make it possible to control the cover. Alternatively (and perhaps easier) they could furnish a command line tool that could open/close it. That can also be scripted. The light panel for flats can be used that way from ACP right now.
    -- Bob

Thank you for your response Bob. At the moment they supply ASCOM drivers for the rotator and the focuser only. I will let them know your ideas and see what they think about that. It is a shame to be able to automate so much with ACP yet a little things like this then make it more difficult to automate. The other issue I realized as well with their software is that I can automate in to open the TCS sofware, but then there is a "Connect" button as well to turn on, which would also need a switch or a way to automate.

Hopefully we can work something out.

Peter

Bob, I passed on your message, and they have passed it on to their software developer, so hopefully they can work something out, and then will get back to you about incorporating into ACP.

Thanks again

Peter

Hi Bob

This is their response:

my colleague says:
    The TCS API is an open interface. No TCS software is required.
    API commands only need to be sent serially to the TCS controller. Very easily.
    It also does not need to connect or disconnect to the TCS controller.

You can simply use the supplied "serial software" and enter the commands.

SetDustCover (Opens/Closes the DC-Flaps)
    GetDustCover (Returns the current DustCover status, 1 = Open or 0 = Closed)

If you want to automate this then give the commands (from the manual) to
    the developer of ACP Software.

So using the commands above, are we able to create something I can insert into Startup and Shutdown ?

Peter

I am unclear... are they saying that you need to send "SecDustCover" over a serial (RS-232) line? Who selects the port? What is "serial software"? Does it require a human to type things into a form or window? Can they provide something that can run via a CMD command line or in a Windows script (JScript preferable, or VBScript)? Can it be controlled from within MS Office for example?
    -- Bob

Hi Bob. They have given their response to each of your questions above, answering below each question. Hope it is helpful:

I am unclear... are they saying that you need to send "SetDustCover" over a serial (RS-232) line?
    - yes

Who selects the port?
    -The port must be specified as a parameter in the script.

What is "serial software"?
    You have to decide.
    This can happen in any Scripr language, a Basic interpreter or in any language such as C, C ++, Pascal, Delphi, etc.
    The simplest is a serial monitor that can be downloaded anywhere on the Internet.

Does it require a human to type things into a form or window?
    Yes, of course. That must programmed and can then be automated.

Can they provide something that can run via a CMD command line or in a Windows script (JScript preferable, or VBScript)?
    You have to decide, we can not offer that

Can it be controlled from within MS Office for example?
    It is possible that MS Office also contains such script or batch processing functions. But we are not known.

Such a script example could e.g. so look like:

<Script>
    OpenComPort 1 // Opens e.g. the Com Port 1
    Write "SetDustCover 1" //To the open comport the command "SetDustCover 1"
    CloseComPort 1 // Closes the ComPort 1
    </Script>

Thread Information