Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ACP Expert and Maxim DL 6.14 and 6.14 hang issue

Hi Bob (or anyone else that could help )

I have a remote set up working but Maxim DL specifically seems to hang constantly.
    Initially, the machine had v6.14. I have reverted to 6.13 but have not seen an improvement.

I have attached log file from the last crash but please consider this is just one example of maxim 'not responding' others include.
    1. While waiting for plan to start (nothing happening) - Maxim hangs
    2. After some time through sub - maxim does not hang it just sits there doing nothing. E.G. at 440 seconds of 1200 second sub it just stops, no errors just stops, it shows the 440 seconds and does not move. Then when you try to do anything it crashes.
    3. Finishes an image downloads it then hangs.
    4. Attached example - seemed to download an image, check pier (I assume via skyx) and then checks focuser (Maxim not there so it crashes.

This occurred multiple times last night requiring constant intervention - Result, the scorn of the wife as I was out at friends and on the laptop resolving.

One observation (which by no means proves anything) on the first night if testing I run Maxim only manually refocssuing with FM4. ACP was not open. It ran all night without any crashes - could there be a communication issue that is confuses Maxim.
    As a side issue I am having USB leads replaced just in case these are behind the issue in some way.

Appreciate any help - I really must resolve in next few days.

Regards

Paddy Gilliland
    Attached Files Attached Files

Paddy, I'm just another customer, maybe I can help.
    First off, make sure you have disabled Windows Power Management - USB Selective Suspend - on the USB Root Hubs, any USB hubs, and on any devices in use (not sure if the setting is available for your QSI and SX cameras).
    Second, get the latest drivers from QSI and SX - there have been issues - and I can't tell if you have the latest from the log.
    If you are using 6.14, get Beta 10 for it - it makes several fixes.

My fast look at the log shows it was working fine until an imaging error at 00:25:09, as if MaxIm went away upon starting the exposure.
    Can you be more specific about "do anything it crashes" e.g. in point 2 ? Screen shot of any error message? What's in the Windows Event Log ?

It might be helpful to know details about your setup (e.g. ASCOM 6.3 ? Are you running latest daily build of TheSky X (10.5.0 11086) and their ASCOM2X Driver version? Camera models and driver versions, FocusMax 4.1.066 ), etc.
    Am sure others will chime in.
    Cheers
    Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Comments in-line below.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Haig View Post
    Paddy, I'm just another customer, maybe I can help.
    First off, make sure you have disabled Windows Power Management - USB Selective Suspend - on the USB Root Hubs, any USB hubs, and on any devices in use (not sure if the setting is available for your QSI and SX cameras).
    >>>>Yes all off - have created a new power plan and machine will not sleep (HDD, USB etc).
    Second, get the latest drivers from QSI and SX - there have been issues - and I can't tell if you have the latest from the log.
    >>>>Yes - machine is only a few weeks old.
    If you are using 6.14, get Beta 10 for it - it makes several fixes.
    >>>>Where do I get this from. I tried to look in forums but my support expired 31/07. I am loathed to pay $175 for a piece of software that is not working (but will if I have to!)

My fast look at the log shows it was working fine until an imaging error at 00:25:09, as if MaxIm went away upon starting the exposure.
    Can you be more specific about "do anything it crashes" e.g. in point 2 ? Screen shot of any error message? What's in the Windows Event Log ?
    >>>> I mean the session is all set up - roof open, cam cooled, just waiting to get going. No active image, slew etc.
    Windows event log shows (looks like there is a maxim error - what it means is another thing!)
    Application: MaxIm_DL.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 774B09A5 Stack:
    MaxIm_DL.exe
    574652a9
    ntdll.dll
    802f667e
    c0000005
    000409a5
    210c
    01d34aaf3ec45a8b
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Diffraction Limited\MaxIm DL V6\MaxIm_DL.exe
    C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    30aa5a5c-bb28-4166-9227-cf885e813dc8
    Is it a .net framework issue?

It might be helpful to know details about your setup (e.g. ASCOM 6.3 ? Are you running latest daily build of TheSky X (10.5.0 11086) and their ASCOM2X Driver version? Camera models and driver versions, FocusMax 4.1.066 ), etc.
    >>>>Ascom 6.13, x2 Verson 6.1.5813.27525, skyx is 10305 not 11086), FM 4.1.066
    Am sure others will chime in.
    Cheers
    Colin
    All a bit beyond me with the .net stuff - would SkyX update help - reluctant to change if not the issue.

Thanks

Paddy

I have re-installed the camera driver an administrator (removed old and re-installed) would it be worth putting main and guide cams on their own threads? Is this beneficial or destructive?

Since this is a "new machine", what OS are you running and have you installed all the updates for Windows and other Microsoft Products?
    ASCOM is 6.1 or 6.2 or 6.3, not sure what version you are running "6.13" isnt valid. ASCOM Platform Diagnostics will tell you.

The MaxIm exception is likely a problem reading an invalid memory location, usually a pointer bug or bad data causing a problem. Could be caused by the hardware drivers and/or a software bug in the way some data is being handled. Suggest you post that over on the Maxim forum.
    As far as ".net stuff" - I dont think that has anything to do with it.

I can't comment on your support situation - you'll have to take that up with Diffraction Limited.
    6.14 Beta 10 for registered customers - details here:
    http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/...-beta-10.3877/

TheSky X has had a LOT of fixes, and I suggest you always want to keep up-to-date on that, however I don't know what the problem was.
    How are you guiding the mount - eg Are you using the ASCOM Direct Guide / Pulse Guide / ST4 guider port aka Camera Relays ?

As far as the threads go, you can try it and see. Its hard to make a general statement - too many combinations of hardware and drivers out there to know what will work well. Generally multi-threading improves performance and efficiency; however not all camera drivers are "safe" for this, and there is no way to know other than try it.

Did this all work before, on a prior machine?

Another thought is to toggle over to MaxIm when it is running, and View the Log window, to see if there are any errors there. If you are lucky, you may be able to launch MaxIm after a crash, have a look at the View Log Window, and see if there is a hint of what went wrong just before the crash.

Sorry Ascom 6.2 (.13 stuck in my head!) - but upgrading to 6.3 now (was this a recent update?)
    Looks like $175 it is - but think I may get my monies worth this time as will actually have a question to ask!
    .net understood.
    Sky X downloading too.
    Guiding DirectGuide - do variants present different issues?
    Threads - testing now for any obvious errors but proof will be what happens in real word when it gets dark.

It's a new build with what I thought was the latest software (excl sky x) - it all works very well until the crash comes along! I have various other machines where Maxim can die occasionally all with different combo's of software. This one so far though is more regular and a major pain.

Thanks for the comments - i'll press on but comments thoughts of others very weclome.

BR

Paddy

Yes, there are a lot of moving parts and upgrades all the software.
    It's a sign of innovation - constant improvements - however, it is tricky to get a stable version of everything that works.

It would be good to get a MaxIm log, and see what's happening there.
    Since you are running 6.13, do you have the 6.13.08 patch installed ? As it fixed some bugs. You might be entitled to that, I don't know. You can read more here:
    http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/...13-patch.2695/

If I think of anything else, will let you know.
    Good luck!
    Colin

Thanks for the update Colin. I did check the logs they were recording fine and then just stop so not much there, certainly nothing to direct anyone at the Maxim error - the system lg is the only clue something went wrong.
    Everything is now updated to the latest version incl 6.14 beta 10 (and I am a little poorer once again - don't you love this hobby!)
    It is running as we speak (with guide and main cams on own threads) - there is high cloud about so good testing night, let's see how the changes work out
    Appreciate you taking the time to think and respond.
    BR, Paddy

Colin -- Thank you so much for your help with this. We don't work over the weekends and in any case, you seem to be good at spooling out hardware/driver issues :-) :-)
    -- Bob

Thread Information