Default PWI Focuser Error causes ACP to freeze and Scheduler to fail with a Windows error box

....yet it continues on. the only thing I can tell that stopped working is email notifications - provided this runs all night and schedules other jobs If I close teh error dialog box, scheduler dies, but if I just leave it in this state, it continues to run. The problem details are as follows:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: scheduler.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 8.1.1.0
    Problem Signature 03: 57f03006
    Problem Signature 04: System
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 56cbea6b
    Problem Signature 07: 3418
    Problem Signature 08: 284
    Problem Signature 09: System.FormatException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

This has happened before. Any thoughts?

Russ

Untitled.jpeg

This happened again this am. There was some indication from searching this error with google that repairing .NET (4.6.1 in my case) could fix this, which I attempted this am. Maybe this will fix the problem.

If there is a scheduler engine log it may be a valuable source of evidence with whch to solve this. Look in My Documents\ACP Astronomy\Scheduler Engine Logs. There will be lots of them, find the one for the same time 9:58PM 4/18/2017 (convert to UTC for the log name). Zip it and attach it to your reply.
    -- Bob

Bob, Here is the info requested from the crash of last night. The scope was pointing near the southern limit, about 22 deg above the horizon, which is probably coincidental, but it has happened on this job before:

Untitled.jpeg
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Focuser is disconnected, and I believe the cable was dislodged from this very southern observation. I'll get eyes on it today, but that is why the job hangs on a focus shift.

There are two unsettling things on this, but the clear clue is the error message showing in the PWI window. Thank you for showing PWI. It saved me a load of hand wringing.

Looking at the PWI error makes me guess that more than one program is trying to access the port assigned to the focuser. Normally ACP asks PWI to make focus changes, as well as to do its autofocusing. Is there some other (unnecessary to ACP) program running that has a connection to the focuser maybe?

Unsettling aspect #1: The way this error is handled within PWI is such that the chain of callers is left out in the cold, with the end result that Scheduler dies because ACP is "frozen" because ACP has called PWI for a focus change, and PWI has failed in a way that does not allow the calling chain to find out. Had PWI signaled an error per Windows rules, ACP would have seen it right away, written the error to ITS log, then cancelled the job, and Scheduler would have simply logged a failed run and moved on to the next job.

Unsettling aspect #2: The PWI version that ACP is using appears to be some sort of experimental Kevin Ivarsen build rather than their production driver/control system. I come to this conclusion via the path to PWI:

C:\Users\kmi\Desktop\Planewave Work\Code\PWCode\PWI3\Telescope\Drivers\DriverE... ..

('kmi' = Kevin M. Ivarsen I presume, and he is a Windows user on that system?) The appearance of the error that set this all off, and how it is handled, needs to be known by Planewave (Kevin in particular). I'm going to call you on this so I don't do or say something to upset anyone.

-- Bob

Phone call cleared up the strange software paths. Looks like they got a test build maybe by accident We both will let Planewave know.
    -- Bob

Thread Information