Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homing SB MX+

Hybrid View

Default Homing SB MX+

Hi, I am trying to avoid the AutoHome and home the telescope using a method supported by Sky X. There is Telescope.Connected = true which connects the telescope. My guess it is just uses the Ascom Sky X support but I am not sure. I can still use a start up script but not with scheduler since the MX+ is not homed

(I have the same issue with a Planewave A200 mount
    Dean Salman
    Deep Sky Remote Observatory

https://deansalman.photography
    http://www.sharplesscatalog.com

Dean: TheSky's driver setup controls whether a MX+ finds home on initial connect or not. See the attached window shot, and see the second check box.

I definitely do not home my MX+ on connect--I do it manually through TheSkyX itself (under Telescope tab, Start Up drop-down, "Find Home"). Works for me every time.

TheSkyX Driver Setup.png
    measuring space rock rotation rates, live from Albuquerque NM

From an ACP script it would be

Code:
    Console.PrintLine("Homing the scope now...");
    Telescope.FindHome();
    while (!Telescope.AtHome) {
        Console.PrintLine("Still homing...");
        Util. WaitForMilliseconds(2000);
    }
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    From an ACP script it would be

Code:
    Console.PrintLine("Homing the scope now...");
    Telescope.FindHome();
    while (!Telescope.AtHome) {
        Console.PrintLine("Still homing...");
        Util. WaitForMilliseconds(2000);
    }
    Where can this code be placed when you have a Special Needs roof?

Here's my situation. Although I can't slew the scope ANYWHERE with the roof closed, I CAN slew to home position with the roof closed. So I'm thinking maybe I can HOME the mount then park it during startup (with roof closed the entire time), allowing scope to be ready to go (without having to manually Home the scope in SKyX) when Scheduler is ready to slew scope for observing. This would really be a blessing since at the moment the only thing (I think) that is keeping me from a fully automated startup is my having to manually Home the scope every night.

The Special Needs script comes into play when closing.

If you can home the scope with the roof closed, then turn on the "automatically home mount on connect" which will cause it to home, then in the startup script, follow up with a park. But... do you need it to be parked to clear the roof opening and closing? DO you have safety sensors that might prohibit your homing it with the roof closed?

Since this is not an issue with ACP or Scheduler per se, but one with a special needs building, I'm moving this to the "other stuff" section.
    -- Bob

I take it the "automatically home mount on connect" setting is to be found in SkyX? This sounds like it will work.

Yes, the scope needs to be parked during opening and closing, but otherwise, is able to home with roof closed (or open, obviously). I just needed to know where I should put these commands because the division of "labor" between all the different ACP programs is something I'm still learning about.

I do not have mechanical safety sensors, so when I do any testing of this stuff I keep an eye on the surveillance camera and a hand on the kill switch.

Is there a repository where I might find all of the commands (functions) available for use in ACP scripts with details regarding their use and syntax? I've come across a few function descriptions while searching through the ACP docs but it has been hit/miss and I'm not sure if the coverage in the docs is an abbreviated coverage or if there is some other repository where I might find a more comprehensive coverage. I'd also like to learn more about what functions are available for related programs that work with ACP like Maxim, FocusMax and TheSky so that I might gain a better understanding of how everything works. Is there such a repository?

I tried issuing a home command via the script you posted above but got an error - something about unsupported function I believe. Does the Paramount MX not allow for homing from outside of SkyX?

Here is the error I got when I tried running the script:
    Unparking the scope now...
    Homing the scope now...
    **Script Error**
    Source: ASCOM.SoftwareBisque.Telescope

Source: ASCOM.SoftwareBisque.Telescope
    Ugh! OK this will require the two of us to work toward a solution. I have another customer that's in the same position (low-hanging special needs roof). Let's get together after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Is there a repository where I might find all of the commands (functions) available for use in ACP scripts with details regarding their use and syntax?
    Yes. I don't expect people to read the whole manual. the following are just roadmaps to the documentation you are looking for. If you're looking for more feel free to ask me for additional details.

-- Bob

Ugh! OK this will require the two of us to work toward a solution. I have another customer that's in the same position (low-hanging special needs roof). Let's get together after the Thanksgiving Holiday.
    OK

Thanks for the pointer to the scripting reference.

OK, sounds good.

Thanks for pointing me to the Programmer's Reference.

Bob, FYI:

A couple of times I tried replying to this thread and got this from Chrome:

This page isn’t working

Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards).

ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR

Thread Information