Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Can ACP Basic still use PinPoint's All-Sky Solving?

Hi all, new guy here! I guess i have a similar question regarding the pinpoint astrometric engine. I am considering buying ACP Basic without internet. As stated in the text, "an internet connection is needed for Astrometry.net cloud solving service". Since i'm interested in this engine, do I need to get ACP internet for this? thanks!

No you just need an internet connection, or you can grab the free 'ansvr'. Don't bother with the PinPoint documentation. Go right to the ACP docs and Getting Started. You'll probably do fine with plain ACP/PinPoint solving.

If you do want to use the local Astrometry.NET engine (30 Gigs of indexes maybe) you can find this info in the ACP Help (which points to the relevant PinPoint help for server setup)

-- Bob

Outstanding!!! thanks Bob

OK! My wife gave me the green light for ACP!!! One question: will there be any program issues with installing the newest addition of the skyX in place of the old sky (build 6695)? I can't imagine this being a problem--just want to be sure. I had no problems with connecting with maxim DL v5 with the APC trial version.

Unless you have a Paramount, you do not need TheSky for ACP to operate. Any version of TheSky will do. It is, however, a great tool for planning! If you do have a Paramount then you need to use the version meant for the model of Paramount you have (usually the latest version).
    -- Bob

Ahh! success...mount, camera, all seems to have connected..I can home the scope and slew...using Maxim DL only. I'm still a little confused, The sky X (build 6695) appears to have connected. This version was the one that SB sold me when I purchased my mount. Oh! yes, my mount is a paramount 2 with a PW CDK-17. I would like to use theskyX for planning. I assume that my current build of theskyX may be insufficient for (better) planning with ACP? I do have on my Santa list to get the latest copy of thesky. On another subject, I'm contemplating buying a MaxDome 2 control board for automated rotation. I basically designed my one servo system with 2 motors--any issues that I need to plan for software/hardware for this?
    Thanks Bob and all for your help!! I'm looking forward to getting up and running.

Try your current version of TheSky. It might work!

You'll have to go to Diffraction for MaxDome application help.
    -- Bob

Trial up-date from Bill!!!!! APC is awesome! All instruments seem to be communicating with ACP. Bob--I love the talking parrot!! Question: I would like to upgrade maxim dl to V6. Is there any licenseing issues with my trial APC's pinpoint licenses vs. Maxim dl's license? I remember reading elsewhere that a license was 'eaten' with conflicting licenses!!?! Also, I'm trying to properly configure astronomy.net. via the Internet. I have an account with them--I'm login, keep getting a message..cannot find, etc. Sorry, I know I need to be more specific on the terminology of the problem. I'll take a look at the log again! The planner seems intuitive--was able to script a few plans--vary nice feature. Edit, Bob, I just remembered the info regarding astronomy.net at the beginning of the post--I'll review your info�� thanks

Ahhhggg! Not sure what I did--I was configuring the maxim dl 'APC telescope hub (ascom) and cannot seem to launch APC anyone. Edit #3!!! I reloaded a new window on the sky X....working now!!!!
    Last edited by Bill Weiss; Dec 20, 2016 at 14:26.

Keep plugging. Unsure what all went on with TheSky and the ACP hub. What were you trying to accomplish. MaxIm should not be connected for Observatory Control. If it is connected at all to the scope/mount, it should be using ASCOM Direct and only for software guiding.
    -- Bob

Thread Information