Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post ACP Planner issue

Following on from my problems upgrading to MaxIm DL 6.13 and ACP 8.1.1 on my Win 10 laptop, which were resolved, I tried to run an ACP Plan using the simulators to check everything was working correctly. I created a plan and saved it but when I ticked the box that the observatory was ready to run and clicked OK I got a modal dialogue box saying

Run Failed: Active X component can't create object

I am uncertain what this means and what to do. I tried a number of different plans and they all failed with the same issue.

I then loaded aquireimages.js into the console and selected run and chose the ACP plan I had created and it ran successfully. I am also unsure whether I should have put this in the planner forum or ACP, apologies if it is the wrong place.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Do you have Planner perhaps set up to run "as Administrator"? If so it will not be able to talk to ACP which is (hopefully) not set up to run "as Administrator".
    -- Bob

Hi Bob

No Planner is not set up to run as administrator and neither is ACP, Focusmax or MaxIm DL. Still getting the same issue after checking everything and trying to run a plan

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

OK, for some reason Planner isn't able to talk to ACP to get it to start the script. At some point I'll need to log on and run some tests as I can't imaging why. I see you're in the UK, so I could meet up with you maybe one evening your time? I'll be here tomorrow and Friday, and again on Tuesday next week onward.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob

OK, sorry for the inconvenience especially as this is not my observatory but the Win 10 laptop I have been using to test out updating to ACP 8.1.1 and MaxIm DL 6.13. Everything seemed to be working OK until this plan issue suddenly appeared. Fortunately because it is my Win 10 laptop you will be able to login, I have wireless network issues in my observatory so I will be installing an ethernet cable from the house to the observatory to fix that issue. I need to feel confident that all is well with 8.1.1 and 6.13 before I bite the bullet and update my observatory computer.

However, back to the current Planner issue, could we do it tomorrow evening [Thursday] at 1800 [6pm] UK time, my telephone number is UK+44 1556 610635. One interesting thing is I launched the web server and ran the plan from there and it it worked fine just like when I ran Acquire.js in the console and selected the plan, it may of course not be relevant to the issue that I cannot save and run a plan directly from Planner.

I will wait to hear from you and as always the support is much appreciated.

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

OK, will do... are you on UTC or an hour either side? As is I will call you at 1800 UTC.
    -- Bob

Bob

We are UTC so 1800 is correct timing. Look forward to speaking to you.

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

David -- I apologize but it turns out I need to assist my wife with a personal matter tomorrow. May we move this to Friday? Or next week (except Monday)?
    -- Bob

Bob

No worries, Friday at 1800 will be fine.

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Bob

I have some updated information for you about the problem. I have been running the system with the simulators again to see if I could gain any insight into why the issue....

Run Failed: Active X component can't create object.... is happening

I am putting things into a numbered sequence so you can follow what I did....

1. ACP, MaxIm DL, Focusmax all running correctly using simulators. I slewed to a star, Algenib and ran the Centerscope.vbs script. The image solved and the scope was centred correctly.

2. I opened Starry Night and used it to create a plan for M34, ACP Planner opened and I added Filters, times, Binning and saved the plan, I then ticked the box that the observatory was ready for imaging and clicked OK.

3. Aquireimages.js was loaded into the Console Script Window replacing Centerscope.vbs and the plan ran successfully. Autoguiding did not work but that may be a simulator issue. Note: I was really surprised when it worked as I have changed nothing!

4. I opened Starry Night and created a second plan for M15, ACP Planner opened and I added Filters, times, Binning and saved the plan, I then ticked the box that the observatory was ready for imaging and clicked OK. The modal dialogue box appeared stating 'Run Failed: Active X component can't create object'. I was surprised as I expected it to work. I realised that Acquireimages.js was still in the Console Script Window.

5. I loaded another script into the Console Script Window, the Centerscope.vbs script but did not run it. I then opened ACP Planner, imported the M15 Plan, saved the plan, I then ticked the box that the observatory was ready for imaging and clicked OK. Aquireimages.js was loaded into the Console Script Window replacing Centerscope.vbs and the plan ran successfully. Autoguiding did not work.

6. I opened Starry Night and created a third plan for M81, ACP Planner opened and I added Filters, times, Binning and saved the plan, I then ticked the box that the observatory was ready for imaging and clicked OK. The modal dialogue box appeared stating 'Run Failed: Active X component can't create object'. Again Acquireimages.js was still in the Console Script Window.

7. I loaded the same script as before into the Console Script Window, the Centerscope.vbs script but did not run it. I then opened ACP Planner, imported the M81 Plan, saved the plan, I then ticked the box that the observatory was ready for imaging and clicked OK. Aquireimages.js was loaded into the Console Script Window replacing Centerscope.vbs and the plan ran successfully. Autoguiding did not work.

It seems that if Acquireimages.js is left in the Console Script Window then the modal dialogue box appears stating 'Run Failed: Active X component can't create object'. If Acquireimages.js is replaced in the Console Script Window then a plan can be saved and run successfully.

I have absolutely no idea why this should happen?

I have attached the three run logfiles.

I hope you can make some use of this information. We can still speak at 1800 Friday evening UK time if you wish.

David
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Dec 8, 2016 at 21:18. Reason: Remove gray on text, hard to read on white display
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Thread Information