While I have been building computers for our observatories for a few years and with changing technologies these days I'm looking to see if there are any considerations I've missed. These days I use SSDs for both speed and power consumption, integrated graphics when available, Intel i7 Quad Core CPUs (not necessarily for processing computers depending on budget), 16 GBs RAM maxing out the RAM slots if dual/quad channel is supported, Startech PCIe RS232 serial cards instead of USB-Serial converters, minimum Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and minimum 4 USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0 slots available. Motherboards are typically Gigabyte, Asus, or MSI higher end and typically Antec mid tower cases that provide excellent airflow for cooling. Antec or EVGA 750 watt power supplies that are typically modular.

Considering the number of programs running at any given time during an imaging session my feeling this should more than cover the overhead. Consider that ACP Expert, MaxImDL, FocusMax, weather programs, roof/dome programs, and of course Windows itself and supporting programs are all actively running, this should more than meet the need I would hope. Testing on existing systems seldom show more than 20% CPU and 25% memory usage under the most active times I've seen. Of course memory and settings for virtual RAM will contribute to the overall performance. Anything obvious I seem to be missing? Tweaks or hardware that would help in handling the load? I have resisted the switch to Windows 10 as this particular computer will be going out to a remote telescope at SRO in California and I have no desire to play long distance troubleshooter and am concerned with Windows 10 updating policies. I have several Win 10 systems at home and it seems after some major updates I always have issues with anything from network connections, drivers that aren't necessarily the best choice, and so on. Win 7 has never given me issues and it is still supported. I'm hoping 10 will mature in time but not willing to make the long distance move with a remote system I can't just open the door, look at, put my hands on, and make changes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve